Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Book Buzz: A different kind of alphabet book!



Title: Allah to Z

Author: Sam'n Iqbal

Illustrator: Lina Safar

Publisher: Broyhill Publication LLC; June 1, 2012

Theme: Islam, Muslim, Alphabets

Age: 3 and up

Opening
A is for Allah, the Most Gracious One.
Allah made the earth, the moon and the sun.
The birds and the bees, the wind in the trees.
Allah created for you and me.

Book Summary:
From Allah to Zakat, children of all faiths will delight in these 26 rhymes that introduce Islam in a fun, contemporary way. Coupled with bright illustrations from award-winning artist Lina Safar, each page will capture kids’ attention and open a window into Muslim culture and history.

Resources:
Visit the author website for a variety of coloring pages to download and color.

Why I like this book:
This was a really nice alphabet book! The first of its kind to be honest that I have read. As a teacher, I read many different alphabet books that have a range of themes (animals, objects, food, etc) but this one is unique to Islamic culture. The illustrations are fun, warm and whimsical. It is definitely a must have in any Muslim child's home library. More importantly, it can even be used in a non-Muslim setting be it home, library or school to help introduce the meaning of a variety of Islamic vocabulary to children and adults from different backgrounds. I highly recommend this book!

4 comments:

Craig Wiesner said...

Nice! We'll have to get this for our shop. We've got a friend who is working on his own A-Z book after getting SO bored with the typical ones he was reading with his son. This one is tentatively titled "A is for Activist."

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thanks Craig! A is for Activist? You will definitely have to keep me posted on that one! :)

slehan said...

Ah. A book that teaches more than the alphabet! I think I'll get this for my grandson so we can read it together.

susan1215 said...

Sounds like a cute book. I love childrens book that entertain and teach children at the same time.


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators