Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Yay! March down and wondering about PB word counts

Yay! Finished my March draft a bit early. Now I have plenty of time to revise and submit to my critique group, Cheryl, Irene, Sabrina, Jennifer and Cathy. *Waves* Hi ladies!!! Please check out these awesome ladies blogs. Cheryl and Irene. 


My inspiration for Milo and Otis Wins the Race came from a evening of baby-sitting for a friend. She knows my passion for writing and has always wanted me to write a story about her son, Milo. As we played on the floor with his collection of toys (race cars being one of them) this story popped in my head. It was not until days later that I actually wrote down the summary and weeks later (today) that I wrote out the first draft of the story. :) I have another Milo story in the works and hope it can make the march deadline as well!


So far, my stories have all ranged between 300 and 900 words. Is that reasonable? Are publishers pushing for shorter picture books or longer more developed picture books?

2 comments:

Hannah Holt said...

I think 300 to 900 is reasonable but it depends on your piece. My four year old has trouble sitting through more than a 500 word picture book. So for the younger crowd, short is better.

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thanks Hannah! I know quite a few children who can't sit through longer books as well. :)


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators