Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Book Review: Wonderstruck Brian Selznick

Wonder Struck by Brian Selznick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Wonderstruk was a good read, not as good as The Invention of Hugo Cabret, but still a wonderful read. It is actually two stories that eventually converge into one. One story about a girl name Rose which is told in pictures and the other story is about a boy name Ben told in text.

Rose is a girl searching to find her place in a society her family is thinks is too dangerous for a girl with her condition. But Rose is determined not to let a disability rob her of living out her dreams.

Ben lives with his aunt and uncle after the passing his of mother. When he loses his hearing after being struck by lightning, he leaves his family in search of the father he never knew he had. His search takes him to New York where he meets a boy who teaches him how to sign. Ben struggles in the busy city and disappointment after disappointment leaves him exhausted and defeated. But his struggles are not for nothing, he finds not only friendship but the family he did not know he had. I gave this story three stars because while the two stories converged nicely in the end, I found the pictorial story of Rose distracting at first. And I missed seeing the illustrations for Ben and his story at the beginning. Brian Selznick is an amazing illustrator so I would have loved to see more illos of Ben's struggle in his hometown and then in the city. But I would still recommend this book to anyone who enjoys light reading with a sort of happy ending! :)



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Patricia T. said...

Saba, I keep hearing about this book and have wanted to review it. Sounds like you were dissappointed, but still think it was a good read. Will have to check it out. I appreciate your honesty.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a read that my granddaughters might like to read..Like format of this book


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators